Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I want to get a general idea about converting a gas hot water tank to electric?

Would there be any reason I couldnt do it? My wiring is older my house has fuses not breakers. I need a hot water tank and want an electric one. I just want to know reasons why I couldnt get electric. Also about how much is it to change from fuses to breakers? Thnaks in advanceI want to get a general idea about converting a gas hot water tank to electric?The only reasons you wouldn't be able to do it are..1. you may not have enough room in your current fuse box to add a 2 pole 30 amp circuit. 2. You may not be able/have access to run a new circuit to the water heater location. Changing from fuses to breakers will cost 300 to 500 for parts alone. More if you have it professionally done. Good Luck.I want to get a general idea about converting a gas hot water tank to electric?There are a few reason you couldn't do it.



First, you would have to make sure your new water heater would not exceed the amount of amperage you currently draw. Usually, older homes have 60amp service, and houses I've been in have always complemented that service with a gas dryer, stove, furnace, water tank, etc. I am thinking that a new water tank would definitely exceed that amount, especially if you have any major electric appliances.



Second, to do it yourself, you would have to have knowledge of fuse boxes. (Replacing electric water heaters isn't hard if you know how to solder copper pipe and have a basic knowledge of wiring.)



Changing from fuses to breakers could cost anywhere from $1000 - $2000 depending on amperage and if any rewiring was needed. Quite pricey, you don't say why you can't get another gas one.... possibly the cost of natural gas?I want to get a general idea about converting a gas hot water tank to electric?To change to electric you would have to confirm you have enough capacity in your electrical panel. Electric HWT will most likely require a 30Amp breaker. You also have to consider how to run the wire from the panel to the HWT. You could be looking at removing wall and ceiling finishes in order to hide the wire from view. If your basement is unfinished you do not have to worry about this. Personally I would stick with the gas HWT.

If you are thinking of updating your panel to new one with circuit breakers. I agree that this is an excellent idea. I could see it costing a homeowner aprroximatel $1,000.00 for a certified electrician to do it.

Good LuckI want to get a general idea about converting a gas hot water tank to electric?fairly inexpensivethe wiring is already there basically new breaker control box and out with the old breakers in with the new fuses

No comments:

Post a Comment